java tutorial - What is Java - java programming - learn java - java basics - java for beginners
Learn java - java tutorial - what is java - java examples - java programs
- Java is a general purpose programming language and a platform.
- It is a high level, robust, secured and object-oriented programming language.
- Platform: Any hardware or software environment in which a program runs is called a platform.
- Since Java has its own runtime environment (JRE) and API, it is known as platform.
Learn Java - Java tutorial - What is Java - Java examples - Java programs
Where it is used?
- There are several devices where Java used currently. Some of them are as follow:
- Desktop Applications (for example: acrobat reader, media player, and antivirus)
- Web Applications (for example: irctc.co.in and wikitechy.com)
- Enterprise Applications (for example: banking applications)
- Embedded System
- Smart Card
Types of Java Applications
- There are four types of Application,
- The standalone application is also known as desktop application or window-based application. An application that we need to install on every machine (media player, antivirus etc)
- The AWT and Swing are used in java for creating standalone applications.
- An application that runs on server side and creates dynamic page, is known as web application.
- At present, servlet, jsp, jsf, struts technologies are used for creating web applications in java.
- An application that is distributed in nature (banking applications)
- The Enterprise Application has the benefit of high level security, load balancing and clustering. Java EJB (Enterprise Java Bean) is used for creating enterprise applications.
- An application that is created for mobile devices such as Android and Java ME are used for creating mobile applications.
Java Platforms / Editions
- There are four platforms or editions of Java:
Java SE (Java Standard Edition)
- The Java SE is a java programming platform.
- It includes Java programming APIs such as java.lang, java.io, java.net, java.util, java.sql, java.math etc.
- It includes core topics like OOPs, String, Regex, Exception, Inner classes, Multithreading, I/O Stream, Networking, AWT, Swing, Reflection, and Collection etc.
Java EE (Java Enterprise Edition
- Java EE is an enterprise platform which is primarily used to develop web and enterprise applications.
- It is built on the top of Java SE platform. It includes topics like Servlet, JSP, Web Services, EJB, JPA etc.
Java ME (Java Micro Edition)
- The Java ME is a micro platform which is mainly used to develop mobile applications.
- The JavaFx is used to develop rich internet applications. It uses light-weight user interface API.