java tutorial - History of Java - java programming - learn java - java basics - java for beginners
- Java history is begins from Green Team. The Java team members (otherwise called Green Team), started a revolutionary task to build up a language for digital devices, for example, set-top boxes, televisions and so on. For the green team members, it was the advanced concept at that time. However, it was suitable for internet programming. Afterwards, Java technology as joined by Netscape. At present, Java is used in many places such as internet programming, mobile devices, games, e-business solutions and so on. There are given the main points which describe the history of java.
- James Gosling, Mike Sheridan, and Patrick Naughton started the Java language project in June 1991. The tiny team of sun engineers called Green Team.
- In the beginning, it is designed for small, embedded systems in electronic appliances like set-top boxes.
- First of all, it was known as "Greentalk" by James Gosling and .gt was the file extension.
- Later, it was known as Oak and was developed as a piece of the Green project.
Learn Java - Java tutorial - History of Java - Java examples - Java programs
Why "Oak" name
- Oak is a symbol of strength and chosen as a national tree of many countries like U.S.A., France, Germany, Romania etc.
- In the year 1995, Oak was renamed as "Java" since it was previously a trademark by Oak Technologies.
Why "Java" name
- The team gathered to decide a new name. The recommended words were "dynamic", "revolutionary", "Silk", "jolt", "DNA" and so on.
- They needed something that mirrored the quintessence of the technology: revolutionary, dynamic, cool, unique, and simple to spell and fun to say.
- As indicated by James Gosling, "Java was one of the best choices along with Silk".
- Since java was so unique, majority of the team members favored java.
- The Java is an island of Indonesia where first coffee was produced (known as java coffee).
- Notice that Java is only a name not an acronym.
- Initially developed by James Gosling at Sun Microsystems (which is currently a subsidiary of Oracle Corporation) and then released in 1995.
- In the year 1995, Time magazine said Java is one of the Ten Best Products of 1995.
- JDK 1.0 released in (23rd January, 1996).
Java Version History
- There are numerous java versions are released. Present stable release of Java will be Java SE 8.
- JDK Alpha and Beta (1995)
- JDK 1.0 (23rd Jan, 1996)
- JDK 1.1 (19th Feb, 1997)
- J2SE 1.2 (8th Dec, 1998)
- J2SE 1.3 (8th May, 2000)
- J2SE 1.4 (6th Feb, 2002)
- J2SE 5.0 (30th Sep, 2004)
- Java SE 6 (11th Dec, 2006)
- Java SE 7 (28th July, 2011)
- Java SE 8 (18th March, 2014)
- Java SE 9 (21th Sep, 2017)