Don’t you think, You are Overqualified for this Position ?
Reason for applying the overqualified job:
- Changing careers.
- In times of economic uncertainty.
- To find a less stressful job
Reason for asking this question is:
- The main concern behind the “overqualified” question is that you will leave your new employer as soon as something better comes your way.
- Anything you can say to demonstrate the sincerity of your commitment to the employer and encourage him that you’re looking to stay for the long-term will help you overcome this objection.
- At this point the interviewer might actually have some interest in hiring you.
- Now show them the clear benefits in bringing you onboard instead of someone else.
- With you they’ll get a faster return on investment. You can start contributing right away - there’s no need to spend much time (or money) getting you trained. Moreover you can mentor other employees on-the-job and be available as a support. These truly are powerful differentiators for the right employers!
- “Because of my unusually strong experience in X position , I could start to contribute right away, perhaps much faster than someone who’d have to be brought along more slowly.”
- “Most important, I’m looking to make a long term commitment in my career now. I’ve had enough of job-hunting and want a permanent spot at this point in my career. I also know that if I perform this job with excellence, other opportunities cannot help but open up for me right here. In time, I’ll find many other ways to help this company and I am really looking to make a long-term commitment.”