Components of NLP
Two components of NLP
1. Natural Language Understanding (NLU)
- Natural Language Understanding (NLU) helps the machine to understand and analyse human language.
- NLU used in Business applications to understand the customer's problem in both spoken and written language.
- NLU involves the two tasks -
- Used to map the given input into useful representation.
- Used to analyze different aspects of the language.
2. Natural Language Generation (NLG)
- Natural Language Generation (NLG) acts as a translator that converts the computerized data into natural language representation.
- It involves in Text planning, Sentence planning, and Text Realization.
Note: The NLU is difficult than NLG.
Difference between NLU and NLG
|NLU is the process of reading and interpreting language.||NLG is the process of writing or generating language.|
|It produces non-linguistic outputs from natural language inputs.||It produces constructing natural language outputs from non-linguistic inputs.|
Applications of NLP
1. Question Answering
- Question Answering focuses on building systems automatically answer to the questions asked by humans in a natural language.
2. Spam Detection
- Spam detection is used to detect unwanted e-mails from a user's inbox.
3. Sentiment Analysis
- Sentiment Analysis is also known as opinion mining. It is used on the web to analyse the attitude, behaviour, and emotional state of the sender. This application is implemented through a combination of NLP and statistics by assigning the values to the text, identify the mood of the context.
4. Machine Translation
- Machine translation is used to translate text or speech from one natural language to another natural language.
- Example: Google Translator
5. Spelling correction
- Microsoft Corporation provides word processor software like MS-word, PowerPoint for the spelling correction.
6. Speech Recognition
- Speech recognition is used for converting spoken words into text.
- Implementing the Chatbot is one of the important applications of NLP. It provides the customer chat services.
8. Information extraction
- Information extraction is one of the most important applications of NLP. It is used for extracting structured information.
9. Natural Language Understanding (NLU)
- It converts a large set of text into more formal representations such as first-order logic structures that are easier for the computer programs.